We're a non-profit organisation on a mission to create modern, independent publishing technology to power the future of online journalism.
We’re looking for a strong visual designer with a broad range of experience and skills to complement our existing Product and Marketing teams to help give our users and customers a great impression of the Ghost brand.
What we’re looking for
This is a broad role which is about leading design in lots of different areas, primarily around all of our brand, marketing, website, and just about every property that our users will come into contact with.
All of Ghost’s design was initially done by our Founder/CEO – John, and today our design is led by Zimo – who spends the majority of his time deeply focused on our product. You’ll be the 3rd member of the Ghost design team, so you’ll have a massive amount of opportunity to influence design across the entire organisation.
All designers at Ghost code their own work. There’s plenty of collaboration, but definitely no hand-off process. We’re looking for someone who is just as comfortable working with modern HTML & CSS as they are in Sketch – and very happy to see their designs through from paper to browser.
What this role involves:
- Creation of websites, landing pages, themes, email templates, checkout flows, billing UI. Designing and building many of our most public facing properties. The visual voice of the company.
- Working with design and marketing teams to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost’s brand identity across all marketing and product touch points.
- Working with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
- We work on cross-functional product teams of 2-5 people, usually one designer and a few developers.
- Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn’t), and putting your work into production. There’s a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
- Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
- Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Very comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You’ll need to be comfortable with coding your designs in modern HTML & CSS.
- Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You’ll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
- Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don’t A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
- Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
- A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team which communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
- An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Almost all work at Ghost is complex and extremely challenging – but also deeply rewarding. We’re not in the slightest bit fucking interested in what Design-Twitter thinks about… well, anything at all really. We’re aggressively uncool.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ghost.org.